A self-guided walking tour for the historic district of downtown Berwick, Pennsylvania.
Berwick walk A self-guided walking tour for the historic district of downtown Berwick.
Berwick walk Berwick was originally founded in 1786 by Evan Owen, an English Quaker. He began to plot out and survey lots as early as 1780. Berwick’s Walking Tours are a total of 1.5 miles of some of the most historic homes, buildings, and residences of several influential individuals who settled here throughout its more than 200-year history. If all three tour segments are finished, it takes roughly an hour and a half to two hours to complete. Tour 1 begins at one of Berwick’s most well-known landmarks, the Jackson Mansion. The Jackson family has a rich history connected with the Civil War and the industrialization of Berwick, which shaped the future of this borough. The tour continues to visit the First Presbyterian Church, the Kelchner Funeral Home, and the Jackson Mansion’s Carriage House, where the mansion’s coachman also had his workshop. From there, you will see several other historic homes, one of which was the coachman’s house. Afterward, you will pass by a number of interesting stops: the Jackson Mansion Parlor Maid’s House, the McBride Library, the First Methodist Church parsonage, the David A. Sadock House (which is the current home and headquarters of the Berwick Historical Society), and one of the last remaining exposed brick-paved streets in Berwick. Tour 1 includes a total of eleven stops, and covers approximately one half mile of walking on flat surfaces. A majority of the stops on Tour 2 are located on East Front Street, but you’ll first begin at the First Methodist Church on Market Street. As you make your way to the main intersection of
Front and Market Streets, consider it a chance to travel back in time to the founding of Berwick. This main intersection was once the site of some of the first homes in Berwick and the founder of Berwick himself, Evan Owen. The corner was also home to the Hotel Morton, St. Charles Hotel and several early businesses. As you walk up E. Front Street, you’ll progress from the founding of Berwick into the Edwardian and Victorian eras and the industrialization of this community. Some of Berwick’s most influential citizens and entrepreneurs built a mix of both elaborate and modest homes in this section of town. You’ll conclude Tour 2 in the 400 block of East Front Street. Tour 2 is approximately a half mile in length and is comprised of seventeen total stops. Tour 3 continues along E. Front Street for a few more blocks, passing some of the finest homes in Berwick. Hillcrest, now known as Crispin Mansion, is a 34-room Neoclassical style mansion and can be seen near the end of your travels down E. Front Street. Once you arrive at Fowler Avenue, you will turn left and begin the journey back into the main downtown district along East Second Street. This route will bring you past an additional six stops, culminating at the W.C. Garrison House on East Third Street. Tour 3 contains a total of twelve stops, and is also approximately a half mile in length. At this point, you will be only about a quarter of a mile from the Jackson Mansion, your Tour 1 origin location. Prior to departing Berwick, consider visiting the Historical Society Headquarters at the Sadock House, or taking a tour of the Jackson Mansion if tours are available the day you are visiting. As you end your educational walking tour of Berwick, consider the rich history this community has hidden in plain sight!
Please respect the privacy of the property owners. Residences are not open to the public.
Tour 1: N. Market Street & East Fifth Street • This tour is approximately a half mile in length. The Tour 1 Map is on page 9.
344 North Market Street 1
This is the Jackson Mansion . This palatial mansion has been referred to as one of the finest examples of Victorian architecture found anywhere. With a hint of southern infleunce, the mansion dates back to the Civil War when Col. Clarence Gearhart Jackson, a Berwick native, was imprisoned in
the south. While in prison, he made drawings and planned his dream home. After his release, he turned his sketches over to John Brugler, an architect from Danville. Colonel Jackson’s home was built upon land owned by his father, Mordecai Jackson. Construction on the home began in 1877 and was completed in 1879. It boasted an astounding 22 rooms. Vermont stone was transported to the construction site in the winter on large horse drawn sleighs to make up the exterior of both the home and the Carriage House. The Mansion features a grand staircase with seventy-five Corinthian columns in the balustrade, along with many stained glass windows. The most unique feature is the built-in wash stations in all of the bedrooms with hot and cold running water - a rarity for the time. The home also boasts a heated staircase. Unfortunately, Col. Jackson lived in the mansion for less than a year before he passed away. His widow remained living there until 1913. In memory of their parents, the Jacksons’ daughters gifted the property to the Borough of Berwick in 1915. The property became Berwick’s City Hall and housed the Berwick Public Library, the Red Cross, and Emergency Management and Civil Defense. In 2010, the Berwick Historical Society took over the property for restoration. It is now open for tours.
Map Guide is available on Page 9
320 North Market Street
The First Presbyterian Church , constructed of Indiana Lime Stone, was originally the site of the Mordecai Jackson home, father of Col. Jackson, and co-founder of the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. Construction on the gothic-style church began in 1926. It was dedicated on February 5, 1928. There are many
imported antique glass windows in the sanctuary. The balcony window depicts the Ascension scene in its central panel, and the chancel window shows the Resurrection scene. The sanctuary accommodates 500 worshippers and contains a historical masterpiece: a 1927 Moller Organ Ensemble. The ensemble is made up of four separate organs: swell, great, echo, and pedal organs.
• Turn left onto East 3 rd Street
119-121 East Third Street
This was originally the Kelchner Funeral Home . John F. Kelchner founded the business in 1908 with a funeral home at 222 West Front Street. Eventually John’s son, Willard F. Kelchner, took over the business and oversaw the construction of a new funeral home building at its current
location. Unsure if the “parlor” would be accepted by the townsfolk, Willard constructed the building so that it could be easily transformed into four apartments. Willard was always proud that the Kelchner Funeral Home was the first funeral parlor to be built from the ground up in this part of the state. In 1929, Willard, his wife Kathryn, and their four boys moved into the new home on East Third Street. One of the boys, John B. (Jack) Kelchner eventually joined his father in the family business after earning his funeral director’s license. In 1985, Jack sold the business to W. Bruce McMichael, who had served his residency at the establishment. Today, the Kelchner, McMichael & Readler Funeral Home is owned and operated by Jacob C. Readler.
• Turn left onto Robbins Avenue and head up towards East 5 th Street
344 N. Market Street Rear 4
This is the Jackson Mansion Carriage House , built simultaneously with the Jackson Mansion and completed in 1879. The building was used to house the Jackson’s horses, carriage, and sleighs. It was also used as a workshop for the coachman, Jacob Knecht. The second floor was used to store hay for the horses. Pulleys
hoisted the hay into the large doors located on the front and back of the building. In the rear left corner of the property was a greenhouse. It was heated via underground pipes that connected to the coal stove in the Jackson Mansion’s kitchen. Note the original cast iron fence that surrounds the property. It was designed and manufactured in Berwick by William Washington Birt, a local blacksmith. Following the death of Mrs. Jackson and the later acquisition of the property by the Borough of Berwick, the Carriage House was transformed into a jail and police station. The jail cell still remains in one part of the building.
•From Robbins Avenue, cross East 5 th Street and stop at the properties in front of you.
125 East Fifth Street 5
This home was built in 1927 using the brick and lumber taken from a torn-down building at the nearby Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. The original occupants were Fred and Reba Johnson. The land was purchased from the Jacksons by Fred’s father, who was the head of the American
Car & Foundry Corporation (AC&F). The plans for the home were from a magazine. It is designed in the Dutch Colonial style and constructed of solid brick. Mrs. Reba Johnson, lived there until 1988. It was the childhood home of Russell Johnson, a world renowned designer and acoustician of venues for music performances. As of 2019, the home is owned by Ginny Crake.
Map Guide is available on Page 9
121 East Fifth Street 6
This is the Knecht-Kershner House . It was built circa 1879 by Col. Clarence G. Jackson for his coachman, Jacob Knecht. Knecht, born in nearby Mainville, lived in the house with his wife Martha and their three children. The home stayed in the Knecht family until 2016 when Jacob’s great- grandson, Gerald Kershner bequeathed
the property to the Berwick Historical Society upon his passing. While he lived there, Gerald spent more than 15 years restoring the home to its original appearance. The interior of the home contains a collection of four generations of the Knecht-Kershner family, including many original items from the Jackson Mansion. Descended from the Greek Revival style, the architectural design of this house is known as National Folk House with the gable front and wing family styles. The addition of the side gabled wing at right angles to the gabled front gives the house its compound gabled front and wing shape. This home and the adjacent home at 119 East Fifth Street were known as the Jackson cottages. The Jackson family’s vegetable garden was located behind the cottages. The vegetable garden originally had large grape arbors, a root cellar and asparagus beds. Mrs. Jackson was known for having the first asparagus crop of the season and would host an asparagus-themed dinner in the Mansion.
119 East Fifth Street 7
This was the Jackson Parlor Maids’ Home , built circa 1879 to house the parlor maids employed at the Jackson Mansion. The home was comfortable and could easily accomodate six parlor maids. It has two parlors and a large kitchen so the maids could entertain friends on their days off. The roof was replaced in the spring of 2012, and
followed the same design as the original. The property is now owned by The Berwick Historical Society after it was generously bequeathed to the organization by the late Gerald Kershner. The home follows the same architectural design as the adjacent 121 East Fifth Street property.
•Continue to the end of East 5 th Street and look to your right to see the next property.
500 North Market Street
This is the McBride Memorial Library , which first opened on January 16, 2008. It was built in 2007 after the original Market Street School building was razed in 2006. Originally, land owned by the Jackson family was donated to allow for the creation of a public school on the
property. The original school building was constructed in 1870. After it was no longer used for classes, the Berwick Area School district still retained its offices here until shortly after the turn of the 21st century.
•From the corner of East 5 th Street, cross Market Street and head south towards East 3 rd Street.
345 North Market Street
This is the First Methodist Church Parsonage . The church is located two blocks south, at 200 North Market Street. The parsonage was erected under the pastorate of W.W. Evans in 1883 on a lot purchased by Jackson & Woodin for $725. On September 20, 1882, the following was entered
into Columbia County deed Book 18, Page 460: “Jackson and Woodin Manufacturing to Trustees of M. E. Church of Berwick: IN TRUST: “the said premises are hereby conveyed in trust that the same shall, be held, kept, and maintained as a place of residence for the occupancy of the preachers of the M. E. Church in the U.S. of America who may from time to time be stationed in said place subject to the usage of the General Conference within whose boundary said are situated.”
Map Guide is available on Page 9
341 North Market Street
This is the David A. Sadock House , the home headquarters of the Berwick Historical Society. The house has ties to many prominent names in the history of Berwick. The property was originally owned by George Mack, the first business partner of Mordecai Jackson (Col. Clarence Jackson’s father). In 1839, the Mack family sold the 341 Market Street
property to Jesse and Anna Bowman. The Victorian-style house on the property was likely built sometime during the 34 years of the Bowman family’s ownership. Jesse Bowman and his family were instrumental in forming the Methodist Church in this area. In 1873, the property was sold to George and Susanna McBride. Four years later, as construction was getting underway on his new home across the street, Colonel Jackson negotiated with the McBride family to temporarily rent out their house. The Colonel, his wife Elisabeth and their two daughters, Henrietta and Jane, needed a place to live during the construction of their home. Upon George McBride’s death, the home was left to Susanna McBride and her two sons, William and Oscar. William conceded his share of the inheritance to Oscar and his wife Laura. When Oscar passed away in 1922, the home was left to his daughter L. Rachael McBride, who was the last McBride to live in the home. She sold the home in 1953. It was subsequently owned by the Kelchner and Decker families. The Sadock House is open for tours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and Saturdays by appointment. For more information, call 570-759-8020.
• Before you approach East 3 rd Street, keep an eye out for the exposed brick alleyway on your right.
North Market Street Alley
This brick alley is one of the last remaining exposed brick-paved streets in Berwick. A large garage once stood to the south of the alley and was utilized by the Jackson & Woodin
Manufacturing Company. In its early days, the garage had space for wagons and over 70 horses. In 1936, it was referred to as the “Reo Garage” and was noted as having the first gasoline pump in Columbia County.
• This concludes Tour One. To begin Tour Two, cross North Market St. and head south toward East 2 nd St.
7 6 5
EAST 5TH STREET
EAST 3RD STREET
EAST FRONT STREET
TOUR ONE MAP GUIDE
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.
344 N. Market Street 320 N. Market Street 119-121 East Third Street 344 N. Market Street Rear 125 East Fifth Street 121 East Fifth Street
7. 8. 9.
119 East Fifth Street 500 N. Market Street 345 N. Market Street 341 N. Market Street N. Market Street Alley
Tour 2: Market Street & East Front Street This tour is approximately a half mile in length. The Tour 2 Map is on Page 18.
200 Market Street
The First United Methodist Church was built in 1902 for the sum of $50,000. The building is noted for its unique stained- glass windows and large bell tower. The tower’s finial purportedly makes it the tallest building in Berwick, and it can be seen upon entering town from across the Susquehanna River. The original top of the bell tower was replaced in 2012. The Jackson family donated the large stained glass windows facing Market Street as well as the church organ.
100 East Front Street
The St. Charles Hotel once stood on this site. The position of Berwick, at the terminus points of two turnpikes and conveniently located at a key transit point along the river, made it a place of considerable importance in early days. Stagecoach travel aided Berwick’s prosperity, and in 1810, a mail service route was added. The corner of Market and
Front Streets was a choice location for inns. The St. Charles Hotel was built in 1816 by H. Seybert and was influenced by the Federal architecture style. Before Seybert built his hotel, a log structure had been erected on this site at the southeast corner of the property. The structure was built by the founder of Berwick, Evan Owen, sometime in the 1780s. Seybert’s hotel was a two-story brick structure with a basement. Later, a third story was added. At the rear were livery stables where the horses of the guests were kept. It became a popular place for newsmen to gather and get the news of the latest happenings in the town. The former St. Charles Hotel became host to a number of store fronts in the mid 1900s until it
was destroyed by a fire on August 27, 1982. The lot sat vacant for a number of years until a park was created and then dedicated on December 21, 2007. The park was named by Jim Stout from the Berwick Historical Society.
Turn left and head east on East Front Street. There are a few properties that are located on one of the side streets within a half-block of East Front.
139 East Front Street 14
This is the Bower Memorial United Methodist Church and Parsonage. This home was built in 1912 as a parsonage for the adjacent Bower Memorial United Methodist church. It was built with the same type of brick as the church and was patterned after a home in Red Lion, PA. A similar home owned by Dr. William Gearhart
is located on East Front Street. The cost of the construction in 1912 was $6000. Rev. E. Crombling and his family were the parsonage’s first occupants. The church started as a congregation that built a “meeting house” of Evangelicals. By 1873, membership had grown to such an extent that a church building was needed. That building was used for 33 years. Rev. H.W. Buck was the first pastor. After land was acquired at the present location, a more modern structure was erected for $48,000, with J.W. Thompson as pastor. It was named Bower Memorial United Evangelical Church in honor of Rev. Isaiah and Hannah Bower. This newer edifice boasted of a raised choir loft and a beautiful pipe organ. The building was dedicated in 1906. However, it was destroyed by a fire in 1916. A new, larger building was built and dedicated in 1919 at a cost of $82,000. Rev. C.I. Raffensperger was the pastor. The church boasts many large and small beautiful stained glass windows. A social hall, the annex, was built in 1926 next to the church on East Second Street.
106 Pine Street 15
The Biacchi Home was built in 1900 and is owned by Lou and Sandra Biacchi, who purchased it in 1971. Lou was a former mayor of Berwick. In 1887, this property was owned by Mordecai Jackson, co-founder of the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. In 1925, R. Emmet Eyerly, respected publisher of the Berwick
Enterprise for 35 years, resided in this home.
206 East Front Street 16
The Doan Home was originally occupied by T. Harvey Doan, a notable downtown hardware merchant. The Doan name is one of the oldest names associated with Berwick. The home was built in 1903 and was one of the first in Berwick to have electricity. A set of wooden stairs at the rear of the property led
down the embankment to the railroad station. It was said that hoboes would come up the stairs for food and lodging in the Depression years. One of the hoboes was an artist and did a painting in the house in exchange for food and lodging. The painting is a ceiling mural of cherubs in the sky and can be found on the third floor. Emlen Doan was listed as living at the address in 1914. Emlen was driving his Stanley Steamer vehicle to nearby Orangeville and stuck a tree. He was killed in the crash. His death is the first fatality in Columbia County as a result of a vehicular accident. The home was purchased from the Doans by A. L. Bower. Eventually, the Truax family purchased the home in the 1970’s, and an addition was added in 1973.
207 East Front Street 17
This is the Ross House. This wood- framed home was the residence of Albert Ross from its construction in 1905 until the 1940s when it became a photo studio. In the 1950s, it was the Edna Ohl beauty shop until the early 1980s when it became the office for Stalega’s Tax Service. The house can be described as being Folk-Victorian
style, popular between the years of 1870-1910. This style is defined by the presence of Victorian decorative detailing on simple folk houses. Features of this house include porches with spindle work and brackets under the porch and roof eaves. The gable front and wing form an “L” confirmed within this space.
Map Guide is available on Page 18
209 East Front Street 18
This is the Eaton House . This brick home was originally occupied by Frederick Heber Eaton as his summer home. During the period of 1892-1899, he was first secretary, then vice president and eventually president of the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. In 1899, under Eaton’s presidency, he merged
Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing with 17 other companies to form the American Car & Foundry Company. Eaton was a member of many civic and business organizations in the New York City area. Eaton married Elizabeth Furman in 1881 and they had one daughter, Mae Lovely, who later became Mrs. Clarence Crispin. Mr. Eaton died unexpectedly in 1916 and had one of the largest funerals in Berwick.
218 East Front Street 19
This is the Madison Frantz House . This home features Queen Anne architecture and is thought to have been built between 1880 and 1890, with multiple styles of cedar shingles. It retains its original stained glass windows. It was originally occupied by Mr. Madison Frantz, a notable merchant with an
established restaurant. Mr. Frantz was also a carriage maker. His carriage business was on the south side of Front Street, in the main business block with Euclid Avenue running alongside the business. It was said that Mr. Frantz always had a barrel of beer on tap at the business and it was shared by Madison, his employees and customers.
Map Guide is available on Page 18
220 East Front Street 20
This was the Hagenbuch House for many years. This house is a gabled front Folk style architecture. The history of this property indicates that on January 21, 1854, it was transferred from Henry & Mary Traugh to Paul & Sarah Kirkendall. Then, on March 30, 1881, from the Kirkendalls to William & Fannie Hagenbuch. Fannie
was the daughter of Paul Kirkendall. Mr. Hagenbuch was employed by the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company and later at the Berwick Store Company. The home remained in the Hagenbuch family until 1924 when it transferred to Roy Blanning. Mr. Blanning was employed at the Berwick National Bank. In April 1969, the property was transferred from Mrs. Roy Blanning to Robert and Susan Rockwell.
300 East Front Street 21
This is the Zehnder House . The original owner, Charles Zehnder, was described as “one of the prominent figures in the industrial development of Berwick.” At age 23, he was serving as private secretary to Colonel Clarence G. Jackson, vice president of the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company, a post he retained until Col. Jackson died in 1880. Zehnder was eventually
promoted to company superintendent in 1885 and president from 1892-1896. Mr. Zehnder is also responsible for organizing the YMCA of Berwick in 1878. His home was originally built in the Queen Anne Victorian style with a large wrap around one-story porch. In 1949, subsequent owners Charles and Margaret Cole removed the porch and in its place added a Neoclassical portico supported by four ionic columns flanking the door, thus changing the home’s style to early Classical Revival. A sunken terrace, located behind the house, overlooks the Susquehanna River. In the large Palladian window on the second floor, the Coles displayed a Sevres porcelain urn that was commissioned for Napoleon’s sister. The basement of the Carriage House contains a party room where cocktails were served for gatherings. Charles Cole, a pharmacist, opened a drug store in 1922 at the corner of Market Street and Summer Hill Avenue. He advertised a full line of patent medicines at cut rate prices. He invented “Cole’s Coldbreakers” and “Little Liver Pills.”
301 East Front Street 22
This is the Muster House . This Colonial Revival Style home was built in 1922 by Ernest Muster. Mr. Muster was the head of the Mifflinville Silk Mill. He never had any children. The home took four years to build. Starting with the foundation, as each level was completed, the level was left to set for a year. The home is three
bricks thick. The home has many unique features including tiger oak woodwork, many stained glass windows and two entrance doors with beveled glass. The home was sold at auction in 1960 to Thomas S. Cretella, M.D. and his wife Grace who raised their ten children in the house. As of 2023, the home still remains in the Cretella family.
314 East Front Street 23
This is the Elmes House . The architecture of this home has elements of Colonial Revival. It retains original stained-glass windows as well as the wrought iron fence that was placed when the house was built. It was owned by Frank Corkins Elmes and Mary Elmes. Born October 1, 1906, Frank
was the only son of William E. and Lillian Corkins Elmes. William Elmes was a prominent citizen of Berwick. He was in many battles of the Civil War and was wounded in the siege of Petersburg. In this battle, he received a gunshot wound to his left arm and lost a finger from his left hand. He was employed by the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company and later the American Car & Foundry Company. He graduated from the Dickinson Law School and his law career included being a member of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Frank followed in his father’s profession and became a lawyer in 1931 with offices at 113 West Front Street.
Map Guide is available on Page 18
317 East Front Street
This is the Colonel Andrew D. Seely House. Colonel Seely was born in Berwick on May 5, 1842. He enlisted in Company C, 16th Reg., Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, one of the first companies sworn into Union service during the Civil War. Col. Seely fought alongside Col. Clarence G. Jackson during the Battle of Gettysburg. Three
months later, he re-enlisted in the 84th Regiment, which was later merged with the 57th Regiment. When Col. Seely mustered out on July 25, 1865, he was sergeant of his company. At the close of his army service, he returned to Berwick and became employed at the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. The Colonel was one of the first directors of the Berwick Water Company and was president of the Berwick Building & Loan Association. He was made captain of the Jackson Guards, serving at Scranton, PA, in 1871. On December 31, 1871, he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the 17th Regiment and served during the riot at the Susquehanna Depot in 1874. In 1877, on the re-organization of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, he was made aide-de-camp of the Third Brigade under Gen. Siegfried; he was also made aide-de-camp on Gov. Patterson’s staff with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. Col. Seely did effective service during the riots at Homestead, PA. Col. Seely, along with Julius Hoft, organized a juvenile military company and they were noted to have near perfect drills with the drum corps of the G.A.R.. Colonel Seely was very patriotic and organized young people to express their patriotism by marching in the many parades held in Berwick.
327 East Front Street
This is the Dr. MacCrea House . The architectural style of this home is Folk Victorian. A feature of the home is the original stained-glass window on the staircase landing. It was first occupied by Dr. MacCrea, one of Berwick’s notable physicians of the 1800s, and the physician to the Jacksons. He enlisted in the 81st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and
served in the Civil War. Following his death, his son lived in the home, until Roland and Mary Lou Rupp purchased it in 1963. It was in disrepair and much of the home has been restored.
401 East Front Street
Originally the Charles Cameron Lockhart House , this Queen Anne Victorian home is notable for its segmented roof line with many steep pitches, hips and cross gables along with a dominant front facing gable. There is beautiful woodwork throughout the home and a grand staircase with leaded glass windows on the landing. The tower room has a view of the
Susquehanna River. It was the original home of Charles Cameron Lockhart, whose family moved in sometime between 1904 & 1912. The home later became known as the second Crispin mansion, occupied by Benjamin Crispin and wife Gladys from 1947 to 1958.
417 East Front Street
The Rogers-Oswald House has been confirmed to be attributed to the world famous architect George Franklin Barber (1834-1915), a successful architect of the late Victorian Period. His plans were used in all 50 states, including 14 known to be in Pennsylvania. Characteristics of this house identify it as Queen Anne, showing free classic design. In this style, classical columns
are used as porch supports which are raised on a pedestal to the level of the porch railings. Palladian windows were used along with gables that project beyond cutaway bay windows. A unique feature is the circular pavilion on the right side of the house. It is believed that C.L. Rogers built the house in the late 1880s and sold the house to Morrison Jackson Oswald sometime in the early 1920s. Morrison was employed at the First National Bank and also worked in the sales department of the American Car & Foundry Company.
429 East Front Street
This is the Cole House . This Folk Victorian style home was owned by Charles & Margaret Cole. It was said that the Coles installed a sunken rose garden where they would have very elaborate lawn parties. They also added columns and a porte
•This concludes Tour Two. Continue on East Front Street to start Tour Three. cochere in the Colonial Revival style. The Coles eventually sold the home to Michael Sherman, who was the proprietor of the Sherman Jewelry store located at 119 West Front Street. The home is currently owned by Dr. & Mrs. Frank Gegwich.
17 16 18
NORTH MARKET STREET
Tour Two Map Guide 200 Market Street
12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20.
21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28.
300 East Front Street 301 East Front Street 314 East Front Street 317 East Front Street 327 East Front Street 401 East Front Street 417 East Front Street 429 East Front Street
100 East Front Street 139 East Front Street 106 Pine Street 206 East Front Street 207 East Front Street 209 East Front Street 218 East Front Street 220 East Front Street
Tour 3: East Front Street & East Second Street This tour is approximately a half mile in length. The Tour 3 Map is on Page 24.
506 East Front Street 29
This is the Olde Salem House. The home was originally built as a double house in 1880. It was purchased by Scott E. Fenstermacher and remodeled into a single family home in the Colonial Revival style in the 1930s. It was gifted to the granddaughter of Scott E. Fenstermacher and remained in the family until 2022. It has been restored and furnished in
This is the Eagle’s Nest . It was built in 1902 for members of the Evans family. The land originally was a formal garden for the J.W. Evans House across the street (517 E. Front St.). The property was later purchased by Scott E. Fenstermacher and gifted to his son. The home was restored and opened as an AirB&B in 2022. It is named for the many bald eagles that soar by along the Susquehanna River. A Native American eel weir can be seen during low water in the river. A sunken terrace, built in 1910, is behind the home and extends over the bluff. 512 East Front Street 30 Colonial New England style and is operated as an AirB&B. The back of the house features a root cellar. The bluff behind the house provides commanding views of the Susquehanna River.
517 East Front Street 31
This house, named Riverview, was built in 1895 and features Queen Anne architecture. It was the home of John W. Evans and his wife Annie Bowman Evans, both of whom were descendants of Berwick’s first families. The J.W. Evans family founded the first grist mill in nearby Evansville, a small village which is named for the family. Annie’s family
owned 100 acres of land along the river extending toward Beach Haven. John opened Berwick’s first insurance agency and was
a real estate agent. He was also president of the Magee Carpet Company. In 1923, the home was purchased by Scott E. Fenstermacher. Scott owned a jewelry store in town and started the Overland Auto Sales Company, which brought the first automobile to Berwick in 1906. In 1960, the home was purchased by Joseph A. Rado, a successful contractor. In 2016, Jim Stout & Joseph Cappelloni purchased the home and restored it to the original 19th century interiors. It features many stained-glass windows, including one in the dining room that depicts the Bowman Coat of Arms. Oak, chestnut and cherry make up the wainscoting and woodwork. The home has the first private elevator installed in Berwick.
525 East Front Street 32
This is the Fowler-Creasy House . It was built in 1905 for Theodore Fowler and features Colonial Revival architecture. This style stressed relatively pure copies of Georgian and Federal prototypes. Facades are symmetrical with balanced rectangular windows. The front door is accentuated with decorative crown molding and leaded glass sidelights and
transom. It has elaborate woodwork of tiger oak in the front parlor. The grand staircase has an electric newel post lamp. There are large Palladian stained glass windows on the stair landing. Theodore worked on his father’s farm and also in the American Car & Foundry Company. He married Martha Harter. One of their sons drowned in the canal along the river. This home was owned by Erla Creasy for a number of years.
537 East Front Street 33
Known as Hillcrest when this house was built in 1903, it is referred to today as the Crispin Mansion and was the home of Frederick H. Eaton and his wife, Elizabeth. Mr. Eaton was chairman of the American Car and Foundry. This Neoclassical-style mansion contains 34 rooms, including eight bedrooms and nine bathrooms. The couple’s only child,
Mae Lovely, and her husband Clarence Crispin were gifted the home upon their marriage. Mae and Clarence’s son, Benjamin, moved into the home with his wife in the 1950s. Along with renovating the kitchen and adding a second elevator, they put in the first indoor pool in Pennsylvania. Their son, William, moved into Hillcrest in the early 1990s with his wife, and began a massive restoration. As of 2023, the home is occupied by Darren Crispin and his wife, Julie. It has never been out of the Eaton/Crispin family ownership.
603 East Front Street 34
This is the Samuel S. Fowler House . It was built in 1852 by Samuel Fowler after he purchased land from Jared Young, who owned the land as part of a large farm in Salem Township. The architectural style of the home predated the Folk Victorian style, which was popular from 1870- 1910. It is a simple two story folk
form with minimal detailing. The house features a large, elaborate, spindle-work porch wrapping around two sides. As of 2023, the detached summer kitchen is still evident. As an interesting aside, Samuel’s great grandfather, Benjamin Fowler, surrendered with General Cornwallis at the Battle of Yorktown. The house has never been out of the Fowler family. Turn and walk north on Fowler Avenue for one block. Turn left onto East Second Street.
535 East Second Street
This is the Hillcrest Servant House and Stable , currently owned by the Multiplex Manufacturing Company. It was built in 1906 to house the staff, sleighs, carriages and horses for Hillcrest . The horse paddocks are still evident in the stable. The area which housed the sleighs and carriages is located on the right of the building
behind sliding doors. The left side of the building held the horses and that door opened on the opposite side of the building. The second floor was for storage. The staff portion of the building features three bedrooms and two baths. 517 East Front Street Rear 36
This is the J.W. Evans Carriage House . This is the original carriage house for the Riverview property. This block had a number of similar buildings to accommodate the transportation needs of the residents. It was said that S.E. Fenstermacher held an annual sleigh ride for residents through East
Berwick until his death in 1953.
401 East Second Street
The Mansfield-Huntzinger House is a Queen Ann style built in the 1890s. It has the original clapboard siding, leaded glass windows, the original wraparound porch and it also had large awnings. In 1904,
William J. Mansfield lived here. In 1925, Robert J. Huntzinger lived here. Mr. Huntzinger was the proprietor of the Hotel Morton. A student named W.J. Morton also resided here. From 1934-1962, Dr. William C. Hensyl resided here. As of 2023, the new owners are Matthew and Terry Karchner. Matthew was a former baseball player with the Chicago White Sox.
310 East Second Street
The Pealer-Evans House is a Queen Anne style home built in 1908 by Harry Fahringer for Robert Pealer. Part of the property to build the home was purchased from Bruce Evans in 1907. At the time, the house was said to have modern conveniences such as: electric
lights, gas lights, a bathroom, city water and a sump for waste water. The Pealers were in the home only a short time when they sold it in 1911 to William Oliver. In 1951, it was sold to Willard and Kathryn Kelchner and they became the official owners in 1965. In 1977, an 15’ x 50’ addition was added to the west side and a two story garage was built.
Map Guide is available on Page 24
110 Chestnut Street
This home was originally called The English Cottage . It is of English Tudor style and built for Dr. Edwin A. Glenn, a notable physician in Berwick. Originally two separate buildings, they were joined together in the 1970s. The first corner building was built in 1900. It consisted of an office and operating
room on the first floor, and an apartment on the second floor. There was a carriage house with a one horse stall where the garage now stands. When Dr. Glenn married, he had the English Tudor style cottage built next to the office. The two buildings were separated by a door from the operating room into his living room. The home was completely furnished with oak cottage furniture. The main building is more than 112 years old and is in excellent condition. The Mayo Funeral Home currently occupies the property.
237 East Third Street
This is the W.C. Garrison House. It is Queen Anne Victorian, a design popular from 1880-1910 and notable for its segmented roof line with many steep pitches, hips, and cross gables along with a dominant front- facing gable. If there is a tower, its placement is off center, creating an asymmetrical façade. Porches
are partial or full width, usually one story high, and extend along one or two sides of the house. This home was built for W.C. Garrison, who began his career as auditor and chief accountant for the American Wheel Company in Chicago and Scranton. He then became president of the Berwick Company Store in 1911. The Company Store was opened in 1850 by the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company for the convenience of their employees and the residents of Berwick. Garrison was hired to systemize the business. His wife, Sarah Gamble McGall, was from Baltimore and belonged to the prominent Gamble family of Proctor & Gamble renown. The home was also known as the McHenry Home, the Fenstermacher Home, and Third & Chestnut Sts. It was also once the residence of former Berwick Enterprise publisher Maynard Johnson. It is currently owned by Dr. Hoch.
This concludes Tour Three!
Tour 3 Map Guide
29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34.
35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40.
506 East Front Street 512 East Front Street 517 East Front Street 525 East Front Street 537 East Front Street 603 East Front Street
535 East Second Street 517 East Front Street Rear 401 East Second Street 310 East Second Street 110 Chestnut Street 237 East Third Street
Berwick Historical Society 344 North Market Street Rear PO Box 301 Berwick, PA 18603
Jackson Mansion Tours: Tours of the historic Jackson Mansion are available. Please visit: www.berwickhistoricalsociety.org to schedule a tour or find out more information about the history of Berwick, PA.
This brochure was made possible by funding provided by the Columbia County Commissioners, the Montour County Commissioners, the Columbia Montour Visitors Bureau, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania’s Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, and Bloomsburg University Provost’s Office. The CMVB cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information printed in this guide. The CMVB is not responsible for misprints or mistakes.
Special thanks to: The Berwick Historical Society for research and historic information
Photos & Design: Shane Kiefer & Mark W. Brehm Jr.
Produced in December, 2023
Columbia-Montour Visitors Bureau 121 Papermill Road Bloomsburg, PA 17815 1-800-847-4810 www.itourcolumbiamontour.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28
Powered by FlippingBook