Walk Berwick

344 N. Market Street Rear 4

This is the Jackson Mansion Carriage House , built simultaneously with the Jackson Mansion and completed in 1879. The building was used to house the Jackson’s horses, carriage, and sleighs. It was also used as a workshop for the coachman, Jacob Knecht. The second floor was used to store hay for the horses. Pulleys

hoisted the hay into the large doors located on the front and back of the building. In the rear left corner of the property was a greenhouse. It was heated via underground pipes that connected to the coal stove in the Jackson Mansion’s kitchen. Note the original cast iron fence that surrounds the property. It was designed and manufactured in Berwick by William Washington Birt, a local blacksmith. Following the death of Mrs. Jackson and the later acquisition of the property by the Borough of Berwick, the Carriage House was transformed into a jail and police station. The jail cell still remains in one part of the building.

•From Robbins Avenue, cross East 5 th Street and stop at the properties in front of you.

125 East Fifth Street 5

This home was built in 1927 using the brick and lumber taken from a torn-down building at the nearby Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. The original occupants were Fred and Reba Johnson. The land was purchased from the Jacksons by Fred’s father, who was the head of the American

Car & Foundry Corporation (AC&F). The plans for the home were from a magazine. It is designed in the Dutch Colonial style and constructed of solid brick. Mrs. Reba Johnson, lived there until 1988. It was the childhood home of Russell Johnson, a world renowned designer and acoustician of venues for music performances. As of 2019, the home is owned by Ginny Crake.

Map Guide is available on Page 9



Powered by