Walk Berwick

320 North Market Street


The First Presbyterian Church , constructed of Indiana Lime Stone, was originally the site of the Mordecai Jackson home, father of Col. Jackson, and co-founder of the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. Construction on the gothic-style church began in 1926. It was dedicated on February 5, 1928. There are many

imported antique glass windows in the sanctuary. The balcony window depicts the Ascension scene in its central panel, and the chancel window shows the Resurrection scene. The sanctuary accommodates 500 worshippers and contains a historical masterpiece: a 1927 Moller Organ Ensemble. The ensemble is made up of four separate organs: swell, great, echo, and pedal organs.

• Turn left onto East 3 rd Street

119-121 East Third Street


This was originally the Kelchner Funeral Home . John F. Kelchner founded the business in 1908 with a funeral home at 222 West Front Street. Eventually John’s son, Willard F. Kelchner, took over the business and oversaw the construction of a new funeral home building at its current

location. Unsure if the “parlor” would be accepted by the townsfolk, Willard constructed the building so that it could be easily transformed into four apartments. Willard was always proud that the Kelchner Funeral Home was the first funeral parlor to be built from the ground up in this part of the state. In 1929, Willard, his wife Kathryn, and their four boys moved into the new home on East Third Street. One of the boys, John B. (Jack) Kelchner eventually joined his father in the family business after earning his funeral director’s license. In 1985, Jack sold the business to W. Bruce McMichael, who had served his residency at the establishment. Today, the Kelchner, McMichael & Readler Funeral Home is owned and operated by Jacob C. Readler.

• Turn left onto Robbins Avenue and head up towards East 5 th Street


Powered by