Walk Berwick

317 East Front Street


This is the Colonel Andrew D. Seely House. Colonel Seely was born in Berwick on May 5, 1842. He enlisted in Company C, 16th Reg., Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, one of the first companies sworn into Union service during the Civil War. Col. Seely fought alongside Col. Clarence G. Jackson during the Battle of Gettysburg. Three

months later, he re-enlisted in the 84th Regiment, which was later merged with the 57th Regiment. When Col. Seely mustered out on July 25, 1865, he was sergeant of his company. At the close of his army service, he returned to Berwick and became employed at the Jackson & Woodin Manufacturing Company. The Colonel was one of the first directors of the Berwick Water Company and was president of the Berwick Building & Loan Association. He was made captain of the Jackson Guards, serving at Scranton, PA, in 1871. On December 31, 1871, he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the 17th Regiment and served during the riot at the Susquehanna Depot in 1874. In 1877, on the re-organization of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, he was made aide-de-camp of the Third Brigade under Gen. Siegfried; he was also made aide-de-camp on Gov. Patterson’s staff with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. Col. Seely did effective service during the riots at Homestead, PA. Col. Seely, along with Julius Hoft, organized a juvenile military company and they were noted to have near perfect drills with the drum corps of the G.A.R.. Colonel Seely was very patriotic and organized young people to express their patriotism by marching in the many parades held in Berwick.

327 East Front Street


This is the Dr. MacCrea House . The architectural style of this home is Folk Victorian. A feature of the home is the original stained-glass window on the staircase landing. It was first occupied by Dr. MacCrea, one of Berwick’s notable physicians of the 1800s, and the physician to the Jacksons. He enlisted in the 81st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and

served in the Civil War. Following his death, his son lived in the home, until Roland and Mary Lou Rupp purchased it in 1963. It was in disrepair and much of the home has been restored.


Powered by