Walk Berwick

206 East Front Street 16

The Doan Home was originally occupied by T. Harvey Doan, a notable downtown hardware merchant. The Doan name is one of the oldest names associated with Berwick. The home was built in 1903 and was one of the first in Berwick to have electricity. A set of wooden stairs at the rear of the property led

down the embankment to the railroad station. It was said that hoboes would come up the stairs for food and lodging in the Depression years. One of the hoboes was an artist and did a painting in the house in exchange for food and lodging. The painting is a ceiling mural of cherubs in the sky and can be found on the third floor. Emlen Doan was listed as living at the address in 1914. Emlen was driving his Stanley Steamer vehicle to nearby Orangeville and stuck a tree. He was killed in the crash. His death is the first fatality in Columbia County as a result of a vehicular accident. The home was purchased from the Doans by A. L. Bower. Eventually, the Truax family purchased the home in the 1970’s, and an addition was added in 1973.

207 East Front Street 17

This is the Ross House. This wood- framed home was the residence of Albert Ross from its construction in 1905 until the 1940s when it became a photo studio. In the 1950s, it was the Edna Ohl beauty shop until the early 1980s when it became the office for Stalega’s Tax Service. The house can be described as being Folk-Victorian

style, popular between the years of 1870-1910. This style is defined by the presence of Victorian decorative detailing on simple folk houses. Features of this house include porches with spindle work and brackets under the porch and roof eaves. The gable front and wing form an “L” confirmed within this space.

Map Guide is available on Page 18


Powered by