Nicholas Ave & Railroad St
The Grove Brothers, who owned the Columbia Iron Furnaces, built this expansive mansion in 1867. This magnificent home is a “double” house. The beautiful grounds of the
mansion are surrounded by an enormous brick wall. It became the motherhouse of the Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius in 1919.
712 Railroad Street
The Reading Railroad Station was originally built in Philadelphia to accommodate the large crowds in Fairmount Park in 1876 for the nation’s Centennial Exposition. This expo
celebrated the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. In the late 1800s, it was dismantled and moved to Danville.
Make a right onto Walnut Street (Route 11) and continue to Pine St.
236 Walnut Street 47.
This brick church was built by the Emmanuel Baptist Congregation in 1893 for its 62 members. It disbanded in 1908. The AME (African Methodist Episcopal) congregation purchased it in 1914.
Turn to page 13 for Architecture Key
Powered by FlippingBook