106 East Fifth Street
A Colonial Revival style home built by Benjamin W. Jury for Joseph Ratti, who moved in with his brother in July 1891. Ratti had founded
the Bloomsburg Silk Mills three years before and was the benefactor of what is now the Bloomsburg Hospital. Mr. Ratti, a first cousin of Pope Pius XI, died while visiting Italy in 1906. The present porch with Corinthian columns replaced an earlier one and the two-story addition on the east side was completed by William Ritter, father of Verus, in 1905.
119 East Fifth Street
This Queen Anne-Victorian Eclectic style house from 1884 was the original home of early industrialist John Lockard, who manufactured railroad cars. The G.M. and J.K. Lockard Car Works (est.1872) was later known as the Bloomsburg Car Company,
and finally the American Car & Foundry Company. The interior contains the same type of lumber used in railroad cars, while the porch was added by Dr. Miller, who bought the house in 1906.
49 East Fifth Street
Robert Neal built this Italianate style house
following his 1873 marriage to Eleanor Clark. A son of iron manufacturer William Neal, Robert earned a degree in mining engineering and helped manage the family’s iron mines and blast furnaces, along with his brother Clinton, in a company popularly known as the “Bloom Furnace.”
Turn to page 20 for Architecture Key
Powered by FlippingBook