Walk Bloomsburg

37 East Fifth Street


Louis Bernhard, a watchmaker and jeweller, was born in Bavaria, apprenticed to a jeweller in Wilkes-Barre, and moved to Bloomsburg in 1858. Also an artist and architect, he designed commercial

buildings on Main Street, the Episcopal Rectory, and this Italianate-Victorian style residence in 1868, among others.

3 East Fifth Street


A c.1870 Queen Anne style home, in 1871 it became the residence of the editor of the Columbian newspaper, Henry L. Dieffenbach, and in 1880 of local farmer Douglas Hughes, who added the porch. Four years later it was purchased by attorney Levi E. Waller. In one

of the more notorious incidents in Bloomsburg history, the house was bombed on September 11, 1896, destroying windows and the front porch, in an attempt to do mortal harm to the Waller family. It was later the residence of Miss Sarah (Sadie) Van Tassel, who lived there until her death in 1937. She was a board member and benefactor of the Bloomsburg Public Library and owner of the first electric car in Bloomsburg.

27 West Fifth Street


A Colonial Revival style home with Common Bond brickwork. The site of an earlier house owned by David J. Waller, it was torn down and the current structure built in 1929 for Charles T. Vanderslice, co-owner of the Morning Press.

Turn to page 25 for Map Guide


Powered by