Tour 3: Points of Interest It is recommended to drive to these locations.
Tour 3 Map on page 27.
Head Northwest from the corner of Ferry and Bloom Street.
151 Bloom Street 41.
This Second Empire style home features paired bracket and quoins, c. 1865. Jacob Cole, whose family once lived in this home, was the founder of Cole’s Hardware.
Memorial Park Bloom Street 42.
This site was formerly the Presbyterian Cemetery, which was Danville’s first cemetery. The park now contains the only ‘object’ nominated for inclusion in the Danville Historic
District—a 73’ stone obelisk that was dedicated to the Veterans of the Civil War on May 31, 1909. There are also monuments throughout the park remembering and honoring those who served in other wars. This park occupies part of “three-acres and seven perches of land” conveyed in 1775 by Amos Wickersham for a church, school, and burial ground to the trustees of the Presbyterian church of Mahoning (Grove Presbyterian Church). After 130 years, the ground was no longer used as a cemetery, and, through the efforts of a group of citizens, this park was created. Over 400 bodies were removed and reinterred at other locations. A few still rest herein. The park was opened in 1908.
Turn to page 13 for Architecture Key
Powered by FlippingBook