150 Market Street
The Caldwell Consistory, Valley of Bloomsburg, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, is a fraternal organization for master Masons founded in 1867 and named for John Caldwell, a prominent Philadelphia Mason. The building is a Victorian
Eclectic/Modified Colonial Revival style, designed by Truman P. Reitmyer, built by E. E. Ritter of Allentown, and dedicated in 1907. One million terra cotta bricks were used in its construction. The double-headed eagle above the front door is the symbol for a consistory.
111 West Main Street
This building, designed by Verus T. Ritter, Williamsport architect, features decorative Art Deco elements. Completed in 1908, it originally housed the Morning Press newspaper, established in 1902 by Paul Eyerly and
Charles Vanderslice. Indiana limestone and gray pressed brick with matching mortar provide a striking exterior contrast with the cast-iron trim.
203 West Main Street
John Schell, a Bloomsburg architect, designed the former Moose Lodge, completed in 1950, as an Art Deco in the Miami Style building. The Bloomsburg
Lodge, No. 623, Royal Order of Moose, was founded on January 18,
1920. Membership steadily increased over the years and the lodge decided to build its own home at this site and remained until June 1999. After becoming a community arts center in 2010, the building burned on Jan. 30, 2014.
Turn to page 20 for Architecture Key
Powered by FlippingBook