300 Market Street
Wesley United Methodist Church was dedicated in 1897, having been designed in a Victorian Gothic Revival style by Philadelphia architect Thomas P. Lonsdale. It was built by Benjamin W. Jury for $55,000 including furnishings, using Elk Grove Graystone
trimmed with Indiana limestone. An education wing and gymnasium were completed in 1927. Two previous Methodist churches (1837 frame, 1857 brick) occupied the back of the present lot.
414 Market Street
A Queen Anne style house completed in 1898 for T. L. Gunton, with ashlar foundation and second- story recessed porch with Ionic columns. Known
as the “Monument Man,” Gunton was the proprietor of the Marble and Granite Works. Note the dragon gargoyles on the roof and the griffins guarding the front steps.
434 Market Street
The current structure is a Georgian Revival style, built c.1907 around the original narrow Victorian house dating to c.1870. Note the side windows which differ from the front. Previous owners have included James Law, a president of the Magee Carpet Company.
Turn to pages 18 for Map Guide
Powered by FlippingBook