102-106 West Main Street
Built in 1894, the Peacock and Moyer Building is a Georgian Revival with Neo-Classical Elements. This building with its cast- iron facade was built for entrepreneur Clinton C. Peacock and Lucas N. Moyer, President, Bloomsburg Silk
Mills, to provide retail, office and residential space.
Civil War Monument
The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors monument was constructed in 1908 from seventeen blocks of granite, weighs 100 tons, and rises sixty feet in height. It was purchased by the County Commissioners from Worden Brothers, Batavia,
New York. On the shaft are the names of some Civil War battles in which Columbia County soldiers fought. Statues on the four corners represent the infantry, cavalry, artillery, and navy.
36 West Main Street
Built in 1880 in the Italianate style, the columns and entrance arches in the Classical Revival style were added later, then covered over before being exposed and restored in 2006. Paul E. Wirt purchased the building from the William McKinney
estate in 1887. He used it as the office for the Wirt Fountain Pen Company and as a rental property; the post office was on the ground floor.
Turn to page 20 for Architecture Key
Powered by FlippingBook